Classics and Performance Logo

1966 Ford Mustang

The New 351

U.S. Military Name Tapes Link

The New 351 is a 1966 Ford Mustang with a 289 V8 and a 3-speed manual transmission – and it's a replacement for my first car, the Original 351.

When I sold my first car, I did it with the intent of getting a '66 Mustang with a better body and a manual transmission. It's not a choice I would make if I were to do it all over, but after a long, convoluted path, which involved two other '66 Mustangs, I eventually ended up with this car, and I'm determined to see it through.

When I bought this car, I knew it needed help to get on the road, but I eventually discovered it would need a lot more than basic repair work to have it in good working order – it was going to require a complete restoration. The avenue that restoration will take is a bit up in the air right now, however, it will involve a manual transmission and a 351W to replace the 289.

The options at this point are rather plentiful, but it will end up with a 2-barrel carb and either a Toploader 4-speed or a T-5 5-speed depending on the engine under the carburetor – which could be a '69-'74 Windsor or a '97 hydraulic roller cam Windsor.

So many choices.

It will eventually be modified beyond the 2-barrel configuration, but gradually, and how far the modifications go will depend a great deal upon what I decide I want to do with it when I get there.

Notes

Beauty and Power Title Image

Beauty and Power

The car hobby is a fascinating culture to study.

Posted: 5/10/16

Back to the Drawing Board Title Image

Back to the Drawing Board

For a long time the Mustang held the flame in the Mustang vs. Camaro war.

Posted: 3/16/16

Progress, Innovation, and Automobiles Title Image

Progress, Innovation, and Automobiles

Today, things change at a fast pace.

Posted: 2/21/16

Happy New Year, 2016 Edition Title Image

Happy New Year, 2016 Edition

Happy New Year!

Posted: 1/3/16

Classics and Performance GreaseMaster and Rusteco Title Image

GreaseMaster and Rusteco

Environment, people, and substrate safe degreaser/all-purpose cleaner and rust removers.

Posted: 5/06

U.S. Military Name Tapes Link